[Tutor] please return flys in ointment

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 09:44:41 CEST 2013

On 7 July 2013 00:05, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:

These include not only the hyphens, commas, but also the
> use of the word 'and' between some parts of the numbers.

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Names_to_numbers

Interesting link - but I draw the line at 'and' ;')  Actually, I
thought about it, but it seemed to me that when most people are
verbalizing big numbers, they tend not to use 'and.' They'll say "one
hundred twenty-two thousand, four hundred sixty-four," not "one
hundred and twenty-two thousand, four hundred and sixty-four." But
that might be an Americanism. Perhaps in Eton they always include
'and'.

The only use for this, besides doing it of course, is for speakers.
Trying to frighten voters with the national debt if you're reading a
long numeral from a teleprompter could end in disaster. It's much
easier to read the words. And of course, if you want to Carl Sagan an
audience by reciting the miles to the Andromeda Galaxy, it would be
easier on the eyes.

Oh, text-to-speech programs. I seem to recall Adobe reading a long
number as just the numerals, but that was some time ago. Maybe they're
doing better now.

Jim

"We sit perched on the knife edge of a change of ages. On the one hand
it is an amazing opportunity. On the other it is scary as hell.
Despite everything man has known in all his time since we parted from
our brothers the apes, we have never experienced anything like this."
--Espen Olsen