[Tutor] A slight bug in IDLE

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 06:37:14 CEST 2013

On 13 July 2013 20:03, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> I don't understand that last sentence.

Ah, I can be marvelously unclear.  I keep forgetting telepathy only works
on my home planet ;')
I wiped everything out to start fresh with Py27, so this is just a very
simple example of what worked in sending a few million test integers to my
numbers-to-name program, which normally took typed input. The real test
program used randoms to go up to the decillions and a straight count to go
into the quadrillions, for about 40 tests (before my CPU overheated, this
being Arizona ;')

No doubt there is a standard way to do this, but I wanted to test the
numbers program quickly, without mooching all over the net, so I threw
something like this together:

# The  module I import, inputter.py:
#Using Python 2.7 on Win 7

def inp():
    x = raw_input('type a number: ')
    return x

def intest():
    if int(inp()) < 10:
        print('smallnum')
    else:
        print('bignum')

def main():
    intest()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

# The Test Program, test.py that imports the module above:
# Using Python 2.7 on Win 7

import inputter

x = (x for x in xrange(8,13)) # much bigger, and sometimes random, in the
real test program

def testfunc():  # This is where my typed input is replaced
    return next(x)

inputter.inp = testfunc

for cnt in range(0,5):
    inputter.intest()