[Tutor] install on windows

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 18 19:17:19 CEST 2013

On 10/07/13 17:10, larry seibold wrote:
> this, as it must be the case with almost everyone, with similar issues
> with later windows releases.  Here is what I found out.
>
> Even though I had administrator rights (my user was in the administrator
> group) on the windows XP machine, I was not the "Administrator" user.

I've installed Python on many Windows boxes and never had to be
Adminisatrator nor even in the Admin group. (I am usually a
PowerUser though.)

> What I chose to try that worked, was to start a command shell with the
> "runas administrator" feature.  From there I changed to the directory
> where the python msi was downloaded, and then ran the install program.
>
>     from Start --> Search programs and files:
>
>     runas /user:domain/adminusername "msiexec /i msiname.msi"

And I've never had to do anything but double click the msi file and the
installer has run just fine.

All very odd. Glad you got it installed though.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site