[Tutor] 3 Dimensional Dictionaries

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 20 22:41:05 CEST 2013

On 20/07/13 11:17, Sunil Tech wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
>     I have a list of dictionaries like
>
>     world =
>     [{'continent':'Asia','continent_code':1,'ocean':'Pacific','country':'India','country_code':1,'state':'Kerala',
>     'state_pin':500001},

>     i am trying to to make it in this format
>
>     world = [{'continent':'Asia', 'ocean':'Pacific',
>     'countries':[{'country':'India',
>     'states':[{'state':'Kerala', 'state_pin':500001},
>     {'state':'Karnataka', 'state_pin':500002}]
>     }]
>     },

>     Please help me in this regard.

In what regard? Where do you need the help?
You seem to know the data format you want?

The only thing I'd suggest is to consider using classes if you are
familiar with them.

world => list of continents
continent => class containing countries
country => class containing states
state => class containing data

It then becomes easier to build helper methods to extract/manipulate the
data you are interested in.

Alternatively, if you have a large amount of data a database may be
another option. Swap table for class above and use SQL to manage the data.

But other than those suggestions I don't know what kind of
help you want?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site