[Tutor] slashes in paths

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 20:26:44 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com>wrote:

I forgot about TREE. But figured piping C:\Python27>tree /f > pytree.txt
> might be illuminating. I piped since it took forever to print because I
> have python(x,y). Unfortunately, I got tiny numbers and A with umlauts
> instead of the nice path outlines in the dos box:
>
> ³   ³   ³   ³   ÀÄÄÄtests

That's an encoding problem; TREE is apparently not Unicode-aware, and uses
the old ASCII-US code page for values above 127.  I suspect that bringing
ancient command-line utilities into the
Notepad++ is my default text editor; I was able to see the line-drawing
characters properly after I selected Encoding/Character sets/Western
European/OEM-US.  No idea what you'd need to do in other text editors...

TREE /? displays the following:
Graphically displays the folder structure of a drive or path.

TREE [drive:][path] [/F] [/A]

   /F   Display the names of the files in each folder.
   /A   Use ASCII instead of extended characters.

Using /f /a will give you a readable file, no matter which text editor you
use.

I suspect that it hasn't been updated for Unicode for two reasons:
 1) updating TREE to use Unicode for line-drawing would break compatibility
for people who pipe its output into other CLI programs in the *nix style
 2) although Microsoft could get around that by adding another command-line
switch, there probably isn't an awful lot of demand - who uses TREE
anymore, except in the context of discussions like this?

If you haven't already read it, may I suggest Joel's intro to Unicode?