[Tutor] 3 Dimensional Dictionaries

David Hutto dwightdhutto at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 13:12:06 CEST 2013

You could find several url's to scrape the data from, and I believe it was
mentioned you could use a list of dicts, but it seems that you might want
to sub tier your dicts, It's been a while since I've pythoned so this a
little longer that usual, but this may help if you pull in the
countries/continents/states/provinces/zipcodes, however you may stil want
to give a DB a try, which you can create on your own out of
dictionaries/with list tuples, and subdicts.

\but if you always wnat dynamic data, rescraping several url's at a
personally optimized frequency into your db could help

import random
continents = ['china','u.s']

def world_stats():
    world = {}

    for continent in continents:
        world[continent] = {'periodic_table_resources': {} }
        print(continent)

        for periodic_elements in range(0,119):
            rand = random.randint(0,101)
            world[continent]['periodic_table_resources'] =
'periodic_table_element %i=' % (periodic_elements)
            print(world[continent]['periodic_table_resources'], rand, '%')

world_stats()

    This doesn't contain the url scraper yet.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM, Sunil Tech <sunil.techspk at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 23, 2013, Sunil Tech <sunil.techspk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > THANK YOU ALL for your time.
> >
> > The first format which I pasted was from the DB
> >
> > The second format(exactly the same), is to be sent to the view.
> >
> > If the logic can be fitted in One or two methods it'll help me to easily
> understand & to apply.
> >
> > so I request you to help...

> [{'continent':'Asia','continent_code':1,'ocean':'Pacific','country':'India','country_code':1,'state':'Kerala',

> >> In what regard? Where do you need the help?
> >> You seem to know the data format you want?
> >>
> >> The only thing I'd suggest is to consider using classes if you are
> familiar with them.
> >>
> >> world => list of continents
> >> continent => class containing countries
> >> country => class containing states
> >> state => class containing data
> >>
> >> It then becomes easier to build helper methods to extract/manipulate
> the data you are interested in.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, if you have a large amount of data a database may be
> another option. Swap table for class above and use SQL to manage the data.
> >>
> >> But other than those suggestions I don't know what kind of
> >> help you want?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan G
> >> Author of the Learn to Program web site