[Tutor] unichr not working as expected

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Tue Jul 23 19:25:28 CEST 2013

Alan Gauld wrote:

> >> I prefer Mercurial (also known as hg).
>
> And I've used SVN in recent years and found it... OK.
>
> But my question is: Why is there such a rash of source code control
> systems just now?
>
> I used SCCS and RCS and then CVS for years and they seemed
> to work just fine (especially CVS for larger projects). So what is
> the itch that everyone is trying to scratch with these new systems?
> Personally I don't find them significantly better or even different to
> the previous generation. (Unlike the commercial products I've used like
> ClearCase(*) and Continuous which are vastly superior but vastly more
> expensive!)
>
> So what's the big deal with version control?
>
> (*)On Unix only, on Windows ClearCase is not significantly better
> than any other VCS
>
> --
> Alan G
> Author of the Learn to Program web site
> http://www.alan-g.me.uk/

Different source systems for different use cases. Git was
developed by Torvolds because he wanted a source control
that was better at handling a multitude of branches and
probably aimed at the development style for the Linux
kernel.

I know from personal experience that some refactoring
(e.g. file/directory renaming) is not supported by older
VCS like CVS. Other VCS can support file renaming but
not directory renaming and some do both.

Ramit

This email is confidential and subject to important disclaimers and conditions including on offers for the purchase or sale of securities, accuracy and completeness of information, viruses, confidentiality, legal privilege, and legal entity disclaimers, available at http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures/email.