[Tutor] use of the newer dict types

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 23:55:08 CEST 2013

On 26 July 2013 04:12, Alan Gauld <alan.gauld at btinternet.com> wrote:

> In addition to being more readable (and the fact it's the only way in v3)
> 'in' has another big advantage - it's polymorphic:
>
> holds_1 = []
> bigBox = [ {1:2,3:4}, ['a',2,;freddy',True], (1,2,3)  ]

That is totally cool. I see something here every day that I know will
be useful. Although Python choked on the semicolon in front of freddy.
And using True in place of 1 is sneakily pedagogical ;')

To ask about something entirely different, I downloaded Wing Personal,
and was puzzled that it had no button to run the file in the
interpreter, on the menu, unlike Wing 101. All it has is one to run
debug. I wrote them and they seem to think that advanced programmers
will only want to run debug. But that seems odd to me. Is that the
case with seasoned programmers? I figure everyone likes to experiment
by running a small program in the interpreter now and then, even if
they're gurus. I found how to do that in Wing Personal after some
annoyance, but it's awkward. Either a three-finger salute,
highlighting, or a key-remap (which  for some odd reason wasn't
mentioned in the remap dictionary, so I had to wait for a reply to get
the right remap clause.)

But it still seems to me that just trying a short trial program to run
in the interpreter should outnumber running a debug ten to one. After
all, it might actually work, so why debug it ;') So I can't fathom
their decision to drop it from the menu, which is almost empty anyway.
I suggested that they restore the green run button and make the debug
button red.

Jim