[Tutor] 2.x and 3.x in one code base [was Re: PYTHONHASHSEED, -R]

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 30 00:41:04 CEST 2013

On 29/07/13 22:08, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:

> All the way back to Python 2.4? It seems frustrating not to
 > be able not to use all the nice goodies added in later versions.
 > just my personal annoyance with our software in the office
 > which is always emm, not quite up to date).

Using latest versions is an indulgence only suited to people
working on non mission critical systems with no legacy.

Most corporate IT departments have a policy of using the Current-N
version. In my last company the official python supported would be
2.5 and that only upgraded last year. (In fact we didn't officially
support Python for live systems but we did use Ruby and VB and that
was the policy there. Even for Windows we only went to Windows 8
this year... and most users are still on XP or 7 - we never used
Vista).

The cost of porting is far too high both financially and in terms of
risk to follow versions. There needs to be a lot of evidence of maturity
as well as a genuine benefit in the new version.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site