[Tutor] Splitting on punctuation

Mike Nickey mnickey at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 01:44:29 CEST 2013

Hey guys,

I'm working on a web-project simply to bruh up on skills and build new
ones.
One of the tasks is to split on punctuation passed yet I'm having a bit
more trouble then I expected.

Give the input of "which isn't that surprising I guess.",",'.") where the
first part passed is the string and the second part is the punctuation to
split on, I'm having difficulty converting the punctuation to a split
parameter.

As you'll see I have tried various attempts at replace, strip and split but
I can't seem to get it just right.

Currently I have the following:
import string
def tokenize_query(query, punctuation):
    # informational and to be removed
    print 'Query passed: ', query
    print 'Punctuation passed:' , punctuation
    print '-----------------------'
    punc = punctuation
    query = query.replace(punc," ")
    words = query.split()
    for item in words:
        item = item.replace(punc,' ')
#        item = item.rstrip(punctuation)
#        item = item.replace(punctuation,"")
        print item
 tokenize_query("Dynamic programming string processing algorithms","")
print
tokenize_query("The quick! bro'wn fox! runs slowly$",",$'")
print
tokenize_query("which isn't that surprising I guess.",",'.")

The output I get is:
Query passed:  which isn't that surprising I guess.
Punctuation passed: ,'.
-----------------------
which
isn't
that
surprising
guess.

What I should have is:
Query passed:  which isn't that surprising I guess.
Punctuation passed: ,'.
which
isn
that