[Tutor] First program after PyCamp

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 11 00:39:20 CEST 2013

On 10/06/13 23:21, bjames at Jamesgang.dyndns.org wrote:

> suggestions and plan to incorporate at least some of them to make the code
> better (I understand it's not pythonic method change it once it's working
> 'well enough' but I'm going to for the learning experience.

There is nothing unpythonic about making bad code better.
Thee is a school of thought that says "if it ain't broke
don't fix it" but you won't find many professional programmers
who subscribe to it - especially maintenance programmers.

Getting code to work is only the first step to producing
good quality code. Making it readable, easy to maintain
and, possibly, more efficient are all reasons to do another
pass.

OTOH you can spend forever tweaking code to make it perfect
and that is a waste of time. You have to make a judgement
call about when code is good enough.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site