[Tutor] Is there a programmatic use for keys() and values()

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 19:49:58 CEST 2013

On 16 June 2013 01:43, Roel Schroeven <roel at roelschroeven.net> wrote:

> Can't you disable that behavior somewhere in the settings of your IDE? I
> know IDEs do that to be helpful, but I don't like it and so far I've been
> able to disable it in all IDEs I've used.

PyScripter does in Tools > Options > IDE Options > Editor >
Auto-complete brackets (which also kills quotes but doesn't tell you.)
It looks like a non-fine-grained choice, though. You can't just kill
quotes - you have to kill all bracket auto-completion. Which was
overkill in my case, so I'll keep my keyboard remapping. The best tool
I've seen for that, and for all sorts of automation (including
programmatic) is a free windows program called autohotkey. I've only
scratched the surface, but it looks like it can do everything but cook
eggs.

VIM sounds good but I don't think there's a version for Windows.
Keeping different programs open is great if you have dual monitors,
which I did when I was webmastering. Alas, some $#@ fooled with my
computer and wiped out the dual monitor card. But when I fixed his
front end I left a bolt off and his wheel went rolling down the
highway, so I guess we're even ;')

As for the one-week learning curve on VIM, reminds me of that claim
for Joomla. Yes, you can set up a site in a few hours after your first
install of Joomla, but learning to fix the blowups and problems while
people are screaming at you, since it's all public, takes considerably
longer. Although an editor that's been around since the stone age
probably doesn't blow up. I doubt VIM has a constant stream of
upgrades (not always compatible), bug fixes, and security fixes ;')

--
Jim
After indictment the bacon smuggler was put on the no-fry list