[Tutor] Is there a programmatic use for keys() and values()

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 23:21:04 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM, python at outofoptions.net <
python at outofoptions.net> wrote:

> On 06/16/2013 01:49 PM, Jim Mooney wrote:
>
>> VIM sounds good but I don't think there's a version for Windows.

There definitely is a windows version

Keeping different programs open is great if you have dual monitors, which I
>> did when I was webmastering. Alas, some $#@ fooled with my computer and
>> wiped out the dual monitor card. But when I fixed his front end I left a
>> bolt off and his wheel went rolling down the highway, so I guess we're even
>> ;') As for the one-week learning curve on VIM, reminds me of that claim for
>> Joomla. Yes, you can set up a site in a few hours after your first install
>> of Joomla, but learning to fix the blowups and problems while people are
>> screaming at you, since it's all public, takes considerably longer.
>> Although an editor that's been around since the stone age probably doesn't
>> blow up. I doubt VIM has a constant stream of upgrades (not always
>> compatible), bug fixes, and security fixes ;')
>>

> Vim is active.  Lots of people really like it so lots of add ons.  But you
are right about not being able to master it in a week.   You can use it on
day one, but keep learning more about what it can do for you for -- well
maybe forever.

The good thing about Vim  (well its not installed on Windows) is that it is
usually just there on any *nix system and I think Mac too.  So even if you
don't like it for your primary editor its good to know a little VIM if you
have need to log onto various machines

> vimtutor gets you a good start rather quickly.

Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com