[Tutor] unstring

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 07:17:17 CEST 2013

On 18 June 2013 19:41, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> As an alternative, if you give up the requirement that the string be
> human-readable, you can *serialise* the object. Not all objects can be
> serialised, but most can. You can use:
>
> - marshal
> - pickle

I had a feeling it would be nearly impossible unless it involved
unpickling instead of unstringing ;')  I solved the problem another
way. I type dicts on the fly to use as a learning tool, but find it
annoying, so I wrote a small snippet/module combo to split a single
string of space-separated tokens, then print them as a dictionary, so
I could just copy that into my program, and not type all those nasty
quotes and colons (I'm the ultimate lazy typist). Only splitting makes
all strings, so I wanted the original types back.

But then I found the alternate way of defining a dict: D =
dict(name='bob', age=50)

That doesn't bother me so much - fewer quotes and no colons - so I
threw my module to the winds.

Still, I'm learning a lot of Python trying to use Python to find lazy
ways to do things ;')

--
Jim
Scorn that fancy food - put bread in your head!