[Tutor] EXE Problem

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 22 23:31:45 CEST 2013

On 22/06/13 16:58, eryksun wrote:

> In contrast, DIR on CP/M used options in square
> brackets, such as the following example:
>
>     DIR [DRIVE=B,USER=ALL,EXCLUDE,NOSORT] *.DAT

You are right, CP/M did use square brackets for flags,
I'd forgotten those. But it did have some / switches too.
(or at least CP/M 3 (aka CP/M plus), which was the only
version I used, did.)

So, my example of DIR /S was wrong. But I got the concept
from my old CP/M programming manual which says...

A> mbasic5 /m:&hc000

Which tells mbasic to protect memory location hc000...

But mbasic isn't really part of CP/M it was a BASIC interpreter
written by .... Microsoft! So maybe DOS got its / flags because
they were already using them for their BASIC...

> The USER areas in CP/M

Weren't USER areas a late introduction to CP/M? (Version 3
again I think...) But I agree very similar to the DEC setup.
But then most of the early OS developers were working on DEC
kit back then, DEC had most of the research hardware market
sown up in the '70s. CP/M came from Dartmouth Navy Labs,
Unix from Bell labs, Microsoft from Harvard(very indirectly).

Anyways, apologies for my earlier misinformation - the old
grey cells are a little older than they used to be!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site