[Tutor] using python for parsing

Makarand Datar datar at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 26 19:05:42 CEST 2013

Hi,

I know practically nothing about python. I know how to install it and all
that kind of stuff. I want to use python for parsing a text file. The task
is to read in a text file, and write out another text file that is written
in some particular way using the data from the file that was read in. The
question is how do I go about this? What part of python documentation, or a
book I should read etc. I dont want to start reading a python book from the
first page. I just want to do this parsing task and I will learn about
whatever I need to as I encounter it.

Thank you for the help.