[Tutor] Print to file

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 11 10:44:33 CET 2013

On 11/03/13 08:24, Phil wrote:

> Neither of the following is correct, but the second one seems closer to
> the mark.
>
>  >>> print("test", file="/home/phil/Python/words")
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'write'

So this is obviously wrong, it reports an error.

>  >>> f = open("/home/phil/Python/words", 'w')
>  >>> print("test", file=f

But apart from the lack of a closing paren what makes you
think this is wrong? What happened?

> I've used the "with" statement to write and read files but print to file
> could be handy some time.

with is about opening files regardless of what you do
to them so you could use with here too...

with open(("/home/phil/Python/words", 'w') as f:
     print( "test", file=f)

I'm not sure what you think the problem is?

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site