[Tutor] Text Processing - Questions/Help.

David Bradshaw dave_bradshaw at talk21.com
Thu Mar 14 11:30:51 CET 2013

I have written some code that logs into a list of hosts and runs a couple of commands to find out some information. Which I then save to a file and process.

A cut down version of the information I generate and save can be found here - http://pastebin.com/4ePz3Z7m

The code I have written to process this file can be found here - http://pastebin.com/WBbKydLg

I need to run the two commands when generating the information as in some cases we have a high speed expansion card installed and I need its MAC rather than the MAC of the on-board card. Why? As well as generating output to show the layout of each chassis, I also then want to use this information to generate a dhcpd.conf file. I have written the code to do it, but it suffers the same problem.

Currently when I run my code I get this as the output -

     BBC21-14.ZONE21.WORK
     178.28.185.89
6     vm14-6
     06BNBB6
     5C:F3:FC:C2:08:0C
7     vm14-7
     06BNBM3
     5C:F3:FC:C2:0D:48
8     s21-04
     06KKY20
     5C:F3:FC:79:53:50
     00:10:18:E4:EA:EC
9     ps41.p33
     06CZHR8
     34:40:B5:DC:2C:50
     00:10:18:E4:F3:2C
10     vm14-8
     06BNBN6
     5C:F3:FC:C1:F3:10

Any pointers as to how in the cases where 2 MACs are displayed I only display/output the second? Also there is no guarantee that in the future the second MAC will start with 00:10. From my code was it a fluke that I got the output formatted as it is and I actually need to rethink how I process the information?

Finally the information on pastebin, is it better or preferred that I add it all in this thread, rather the putting it in pastebin?

Thanks for any help provided.

Dave