[Tutor] Phyton script for fasta file (seek help)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 24 10:10:44 CET 2013

On 24/03/13 07:45, michelle_low wrote:

>     Can someone please help me with the following phyton script? I
>     received the error message  DeprecationWarning: the sets module is
>     deprecated
>        from sets import Set.

>     I'd like to execute them with unix command

Peter answered both of these.
However, I think there may be a bug in your code...

>          freqList = []
>          for symbol in alphabet:
>            ctr = 0
>            for sym in stList:
>              if sym == symbol:
>                  ctr += 1
>          freqList.append(float(ctr)/len(stList))

Should the last line not be indented to be part of the first for loop?
Otherwise you only store the count for the last symbol.

BTW this could be made simpler:

freqList = []
for symbol in alphabet:
    val = float(stList.count(symbol)/len(stlist)
    freqList.append(val)

HTH
--
Alan G