[Tutor] (no subject)

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 25 01:42:29 CET 2013

On 25/03/13 00:13, Mandi Seger wrote:

> have a nursing background with basic science and math education. I have
> no programming experience in any computer language.

I would try a library loan since such a book will be of limited value
after you've finished it. There are a few that are suitable, including
mine and Jeff Elkner's and a couple of others. It's hard to recommend
one without knowing how you learn... Mine and Jeff's both have online
versions (although my book is now well behind the online version, I'm
not sure about Jeff's)

> I am currently enrolled in a Master's program for Geographic Information
> Science and will be learning Python with an eye toward applying it in
> GIS software programs such as ESRI's ArcMap.

There are libraries available to help with that and some of the folks on
this list are actively involved. But that should wait till you at least
have the basics down.

> I prefer to start with a book for ease of reference, and then move
> forward with online resources.

As well as the book you can also print out my V2 tutorial from the PDF
file - or load it on an eReader if that works for you.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site