[Tutor] Building Python 2.7.3 on RHEL 5.8 x86_64 -- Syntax Error

Amit Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 23:08:31 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But, where did you get the idea that you could build Python RPMs using
>> $python setup.py bdist_rpm ? I thought that was only limited to
>> building RPMs for python packages (including extensions), but not the
>> Python interpreter itself. Please correct me if i am wrong.
>

> Ok, so it's only for module distributions?  I assumed it could package
> Python itself as well, because it creates a *.spec file that reads like
> this:
>
> %define name Python
> %define version 2.7.3
> %define unmangled_version 2.7.3
> %define release 1

Hmm. Let's see, it was a guess on my part as well.

>> Okay, here is something for you to try in the meantime. Download the
>> Python 2.7 SRPM (source RPM) from
>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=130. May be
>> the F17 version.
>> Extract it to get the source files, patches and the SPEC file.
>

> Thank you, I will try this today.  In the meantime I have started a thread
> on the "distutils" mailing list, so as not to spam "Tutor" with my build
> woes.

I will follow the thread there and see what comes out of it. This is
interesting!

FWIW, I tried to get the SRPM and build Python 2.7 on RHEL 5. Quickly
realized that it lacks, yum-builddep, yumdownloader, etc :-/

So, just left it there for then. I will have to try again the manual way.

-Amit.

--
http://amitsaha.github.com/