[Tutor] Text Editors and Linux (was Re: exit message)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu May 9 02:29:17 CEST 2013

On 09/05/13 02:57, David Rock wrote:
> * Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> [2013-05-08 22:13]:

>>> Any reason to prefer tabs to virtual terminals (i.e. screen)?
>>

>> Yes. I can see tabs, and click them with a mouse, they can have a
>> meaningful title, and I can use spacial memory to associate them with
>> tasks. "Tests = second last tab" is more natural for me to remember
>> than "Tests = virtual terminal 7", and clicking with the mouse is much
>> faster for me than remembering, and typing, "Ctrl-A 7".
>
> Well, not to start a flame war, but that is all subjective.

Did I say otherwise? I was very careful to say "more natural FOR ME, faster FOR ME".

> So it's really more about personal taste than anything.  If you _like_
> what you are using, that's fine.  I wouldn't like that setup.

I'm sure that many people wouldn't.

On the other hand, I work with, and watch, a lot of techies who live in screen. They swear that they're more efficient, but watching them hunt for the right virtual terminal doesn't look very efficient to me. I often see them flip through three or four different VTs until they reach the one they were looking for. It is especially amusing when they end up shutting down the wrong server because they've gone to the wrong vt and haven't realised it.

--
Steven