[Tutor] Text Editors and Linux (was Re: exit message)

David Rock david at graniteweb.com
Thu May 9 03:33:03 CEST 2013

* Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> [2013-05-09 10:29]:
> On 09/05/13 02:57, David Rock wrote:
> >
> > Well, not to start a flame war, but that is all subjective.
>
> Did I say otherwise? I was very careful to say "more natural FOR ME,
> faster FOR ME".

Not at all, but it was suggested that console apps were not able to do
the same thing as tabbed apps, which isn't the case.  I also didn't say
you were wrong, I just don't want an option to be overlooked because of
a personal bias.  I have no argument against tabbed environments being
more natural, because they are.  There is a steep learning curve for
many console apps, but they can be rewarding if used properly.

> > So it's really more about personal taste than anything.  If you _like_
> > what you are using, that's fine.  I wouldn't like that setup.
>
> I'm sure that many people wouldn't.
>
> On the other hand, I work with, and watch, a lot of techies who live
> in screen. They swear that they're more efficient, but watching them
> hunt for the right virtual terminal doesn't look very efficient to me.
> I often see them flip through three or four different VTs until they
> reach the one they were looking for.

Then they aren't using it correctly.  My screen sessions are labeled,
and show me exactly what window I'm in, just as well as a tabbed window
does.  I don't have to remember anything any more than you do.  Someone
using a tool inefficiently does not mean that tool is inefficient.

> It is especially amusing when they end up shutting down the wrong
> server because they've gone to the wrong vt and haven't realised it.

That's not an honor reserved for users of screen.  I see the same thing
from other folks using all manner of environments, including tabbed
ones.

--
David Rock
david at graniteweb.com