[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 111, Issue 24

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat May 11 18:28:25 CEST 2013

On 11/05/13 07:51, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>> Pascal is still case agnostic and in that community its often seen
>> as a benefit...

> Interesting that you say that. Just the other week I was reading a page
> somewhere talking about some Pascal compiler, and it made a comment that
> "by popular request" the next version would allow case sensitive variables.

Yes, I think that more and more people are coming to Pascal from non
Pascal backgrounds. When you've been used to case sensitive languages
like C, Java, etc, then Pascal and COBOL seem arecane. But as someone
who started life in Pascal (Traditional Basic doesn't count! :-) before
moving to C, I made a huge number of case based errors in the early days.

But nowadays I wouldn't like to be without the flexibility of using
mixed case such as:

> history = History()  # actual code, copied from one of my modules

And this is one of the areas where I don't personally like
Python's PEP8 naming conventions...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site