[Tutor] Making a Primary Number List generator

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sun May 12 19:36:23 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 6:43 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
[...]

> With no experience in programming other languages, you'd need a different
> kind of tutorial than I sought when I was learning Python. And you
> absolutely need to match your tutorial against the version of Python you're
> running on your machine.  2.x and 3.x aren't VERY different, but there were
> enough changes that you don't want to be dealing with that while learning
> initially.
>
> Anybody else want to recommend a tutorial for someone who has no programming
> experience in other languages?

I have not been looking at tutorials per se, but mostly books. Of the
ones I have actually looked at, "Python Programming for the Absolute
Beginner", 3rd ed., by Michael Dawson, and "More Python Programming
for the Absolute Beginner" by Jonathan S. Harbour look to be fairly
good and try to make things interesting by making their examples
always using games. However, one recent poster had trouble in the
second half of the first book when the text was introducing multimedia
games programming. However, that appeared to be due to getting the
PyGame module to work with his Python installation. The authors look
to be trying to accomplish their goal implied in their titles.

Another option, if the OP is not put off by books for "kids", is to
try one of several Python books that are available for free online
targeting kids. I am currently reviewing one, "Invent Your Own
Computer Games with Python" by Al Sweigart, that I am thinking of
using with my kids this summer. I have found that by looking at this
book (and others that I have examined as candidates for my kids) that
I have learned quite a bit without realizing it and have seen
clarifications of technical points that I had puzzled over in my other
texts oriented at adults. If nothing else, the OP could find one of
these, skim through it to get the true basics, and then go back to
another, more "adult" source.

Cheers!
boB