[Tutor] Interested in learning Python

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu May 16 02:49:30 CEST 2013

(Your message suddenly appeared here today, after four days in limbo)

On 05/11/2013 08:50 AM, Raymond Jackson wrote:
> Hello My name is Raymond Jackson I am currently on your tutorial site

Be explicit.  There are lots of tutorial sites around.  Perhaps you mean
  http://docs.python.org/tutorial/
or http://www.alan-g.me.uk/

> and trying to teach my self this new language I haven't done this before
> so i'm open to any suggestions going about this

Many people are new to Python, but have programmed in one or ten other
languages.  Others are entirely new to programming, but very proficient
with a computer, both with applications and the commandline.  Still
others know nothing about computers other than how to find a web page.

Describe yourself a little better, and somebody will have a suggestion
that'll help you at your particular level.  Part of that description
will include your OS, and the version of Python you're trying to use.

Generically speaking, find a tutorial that fits your level, and that
matches the version of Python you're experimenting on (2.x or 3.x), and
dig in.  Do all the exercises, and don't skip ahead if you don't
understand something.  Either study it till you do, or ask a question
somewhere.  At the least, make an explicit note, so you'll know what to
come back to, to fill in the gaps.

Still generically, find an interactive environment that you're
comfortable with, and experiment.  Python is especially good at that, in
that you can fire up the interpreter by just typing  python3.3  or
similar at the shell prompt.

--
DaveA