[Tutor] Can't install latest PIL

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Thu May 16 11:29:24 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I'm trying to install the latest PIL on win 7. It claims Python
> 2.7 was not found in the registry, although it's installed, on a path,
> and works fine. The install box lets you type in a directory but won't
> accept typing. I'm stumped.
>
> I guess the way around this is to know what I have to put in the registry.

Make sure you have the correct architecture. The builds from
PythonWare are 32-bit. Christoph Gohlke has 64-bit builds here:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pil

As far as the registry goes, installing for everyone uses HKLM (local
machine), else an installation uses HKCU (current user). The installed
versions are in subkeys of [HKLM|HKCU]\Software\Python\PythonCore.
Also, for WoW64 processes (i.e. 32-bit running on 64-bit Windows) the
"Software" key is redirected to Software\Wow64Node.