[Tutor] Can't install latest PIL

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Thu May 16 11:38:35 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 16 May 2013 07:12, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I'm trying to install the latest PIL on win 7. It claims Python
> 2.7 was not found in the registry, although it's installed, on a path,
> and works fine. The install box lets you type in a directory but won't
> accept typing. I'm stumped.

Are you using Python 32-bit or Python 64-bit?   I'm guessing/seem to
remember from your other posts, it's 64-bit and I'm guessing you're trying
to install PIL for 32-bit Windows, which behaves in the way you describe if
you try to use it on a Python 64-bit build.  If I'm right, and you're
indeed running 64-bit Windows, then you need to instead get a 64-bit build
of PIL to match your Python build.   Unfortunately the official PIL page
does not contain 64-bit builds, however you can get an unofficial (meaning,
done by a third party) version here:
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pil

Walter