[Tutor] Python Idle Crashing

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu May 16 21:23:48 CEST 2013

On 05/16/2013 02:17 PM, kyle seebohm wrote:
> I recently created a program that searches through a computer's drive to make a list of all the files in that drive. However, the drive I am attempting to parse through is extremely large and when I run my program, it runs for about 5 or 10 minutes then proceeds to not respond and not finish parsing through the entire drive. Is there a way around this or does the drive just contain too many files?

Not clear why you would think that Idle had anything to do with it.  It
didn't crash, it hung, or maybe is just taking a very long time, or
maybe it has an infinite loop in the code, or you're thrashing after
filling up memory?

Still, if you think it was IDLE, it's simple to just run the program
without IDLE.

What's your environment, besides "extremely large drive"?  What OS, what
version of Python?  And what's your code look like?

What does top say?  Is the disk light still blinking?  Do you have any
symbolic links and does your code handle them correctly?

--
DaveA