[Tutor] Pygraphics crashed

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Fri May 17 00:49:07 CEST 2013

> By the way, do you mind if I ask why you're using PyGraphics? It's
> only meant to be used for education (and even there, AFAIK the only
> users are the University of Toronto (and even there, I think they
> stopped using it because they switched to Python 3 for Coursera and
> didn't care enough to upgrade PyGraphics (I am mad about this))).

Yeah, I'm tired of fighting 64 bit windows. I'm going to uninstall
everything and use 32 bit I was reading some advice to use 64 bit for
speed but I'm only learning - I don't need to keep wrestling with this
crap just get top speed for twenty line programs ;')

PyGraphics was an import in a program right at the front of a book I'm
using. Worked fine for displaying jpgs very easily, before I started
fooling with 64 bit. Let me see, the book is called:
Practical Progamming - an introduction to computer science using
Python by Jennifer Campbell, et al.

It's not my main book - it's just for doing something more active
while I slug through Guttag's MIT open courseware on Python. Guttag
covers all the bases, but in the meantime I want to see pretty
pictures and see what Python can do ;')

Right now I'm using both Py 2.7 and Py 3.3 since I want to learn 3.3
but half the good libs are still in 2.7.

Actually, neither the book or Guttag is pure Python, but just using
Python to teach computer science. I'm a retired webmaster and hacked
away just enough at javascript, jquery, and php to get something done
on a site, but I figured I'd actually learn this from the ground up
now that I have time and don't have to be hustling a site all the
time, and just grab some jquery and get it done. I may have to look at
a dedicated Python book for detail, since the book and course I have
admit they just scant Python to get on with computer science.

Jim