[Tutor] Retrieving data from a web site

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat May 18 08:33:30 CEST 2013

On 18/05/13 00:57, Phil wrote:
> I'd like to "download" eight digits from a web site where the digits are
> stored as individual graphics. Is this possible, using perhaps, one of
> the countless number of Python modules? Is this the function of a web
> scraper?

In addition to Dave's points there is also the legality to consider.
Images are often copyrighted (although images of digits are less
likely!) and sites often have conditions of use that prohibit web
scraping. Such sites often include scripts that analyze user activity
and if they suspect you of being a robot may ban your computer from
accessing the site - including by browser.

So be sure that you  are allowed to access the site robotically and that
you are allowed to download the content or you could find yourself
blacklisted and unable to access the site even with your browser.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site