[Tutor] Retrieving data from a web site

Phil phil_lor at bigpond.com
Sun May 19 13:30:05 CEST 2013

On 19/05/13 18:05, Peter Otten wrote:
> Phil wrote:
>
>> My apatite having been whetted I'm now stymied because of a Ubuntu
>> dependency problem during the installation of urllib3. This is listed as
>> a bug. Has anyone overcome this problem?
>>
>> Perhaps there's another library that I can use to download data from a
>> web page?
>
> You mean you are using Python 3? The replacement for urllib2 in Python 3 is
> urllib.request and a few others. There is a tool called 2to3 that can help
> you with the transition.

Thank you once again Peter for a very helpful reply.

Under Ubuntu (I'm actually using Kubuntu) the packages are
python-urllib3 (for python 2) and python3-urllib3. Unfortunately neither
will install because of a dependency issue with libbz2-1.0. So I'll have
to put this project on hold until the bug is resolved.

--
Regards,
Phil