[Tutor] try..except - what about that ton of **Error statements?

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Wed May 22 15:37:04 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On 22/05/13 16:20, Jim Mooney wrote:

[...}

> A very important quote from Chris Smith:
>
> "I find it amusing when novice programmers believe their main job is
> preventing programs from crashing. ... More experienced programmers realize
> that correct code is great, code that crashes could use improvement, but
> incorrect code that doesn't crash is a horrible nightmare."

Being a novice programmer, I am interpreting this to mean that a) I
complete a program. b) I believe it to be correct and bug-free. c) I
should make sure I do NOT try to catch errors just to keep the program
running from things I failed to anticipate (Probably from being a
novice programmer!). So the conclusion I am drawing is that I WANT my
program to crash if something I did not anticipate/plan for happens.
Am I understanding this correctly?

boB