[Tutor] bytecode primer, and avoiding a monster download

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Mon May 27 22:01:34 CEST 2013

I was looking at the bytecode doc page as a break from the Lutz book,
since I like Assembler-type code due to its total non-ambiguity, but
the page doesn't say much. Is there a doc somewhere that corresponds
some of the bytecode to Python source? I thought rot_1, 2, 3, and 4
looked useful, but it would take awhile to disassemble random programs
to see what source they come from.

Another question. I tried installing a package that back-compiles (in
win 7), so I could see things that way, and got the error
"Unable to find vcvarsall.bat"

Looking around it said I needed to install Visual Studio (Express, of
course ;'). I'm on a very slow connection, right now. Is there any
alternative to downloading this monster 600 Mb ISO just to install a
package, or am I doomed to getting Visual Studio?

--
Jim Mooney

Atlantis Anyone?
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/05/17/1301760110.abstract?sid=8313cec8-3ee0-47a0-9488-5bc33983b081