[Tutor] Python "well-formed formulas"

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Tue May 28 14:32:06 CEST 2013

On 05/28/2013 08:20 AM, Walter Prins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28 May 2013 12:44, Citizen Kant <citizenkant at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Could you please help me with a simple example of a Python well-formed
>> formula in order to understand "well-formed formulas" and "formation rules"
>> concepts properly?
>>

> I'm assuming you perhaps meant "well-formed expression".  If so, here's a
> useful link that answers your question:
> http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~sriram/16/spring12/lectureNotes/Feb8-2012.pdf

That's pretty good.  I had assumed the OP meant the well-formed formula
of Propositional Calculus.  As defined on the page:

http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~jamesp/classes/LING130/FirstOrderLogic-1.pdf

I didn't respond because I can't believe that Propositional Calculus
means the same thing by "free variable" as Python does.

--
DaveA