[Tutor] Need help on Python API programmig

Amit Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 15:01:46 CET 2013

Hi Sourav,

Please use "Reply all" when you reply an email so that everyone else
also gets your messages and your chances of getting better help
increases.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Sourav Biswas <sobisw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> Yes I know, the question is not quite good. Currently I am trying to learn
> web API programming with Python. The ultimate goal is work with OpenStack
> API.
>
> Can you please let me know, how to start on this.
>
> Thanks for the reply and thanks in advance.

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean that your question was "not good". Now
that you have mentioned what specifically you are looking to learn, it
becomes slightly easier to make some suggestions. I don't have any
personal experience with OpenStack API. However, looking at [1], it
seems like you will be mostly dealing with making HTTP requests and
reading responses. There are couple of standard library modules such
as urlllib2 and httplib that may be useful to you. However, in this
case, you would certainly benefit from directly learning to use
Requests [2]. Note that however, you will need to be familiar with
Python data structures such as dictionaries and know how to work with
JSON data ( please see the 'json' standard module).

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/api/quick-start/content/
[2]http://www.python-requests.org/en/latest/

I am hoping those prove helpful.

All the best,