[Tutor] How to set variables inside a class()

Dominik George nik at naturalnet.de
Tue Nov 26 11:00:03 CET 2013

Hi Reuben,

> class Animal():
>
>       flag = True
>       print flag

Are you sure you know what this does ;)? Normally, you initialize all
variables in the constructor.

>      test.flag = False

> 1)Inside the Animal class(), How can I set the variable 'flag' to FALSE?

Your qustion is a bit unclear. In your above code, you showed at least
two ways of achieving that - one would be in the place where you have
flag = True in your class definition, and the second is when you do
test.flag = False on the instance.

But remember that classes are schemes; what really counts are the copies
of them called instances.

So I think your question is: "When calling a method in an instance of my
class, how do I make it set the attribute flag to False?"

The simple answer is: In the same way you set the name in the
constructor - self.flag = False .

I suggest you should pay more attention to the repeating patterns you
find when programming Python. I have observed that the answer to your
question was all in your code sample ;). So while I (and others) will
happily help you anyway, in order to improve your learning efforts,
please do the following next time you ask:

 - Look at the code you have
 - Try to find a pattern that looks similar to what you want to achieve
 - Try it ;)
 - If it fails or is unclear, report that, your assumptions and the results
   so we can clarify it
 - If you do not find such a pattern, go ahead and just ask, but give a
   statement of what you looked out for :).

Cheers,
Nik

--
<burny> Ein Jabber-Account, sie alle zu finden; ins Dunkel zu treiben
        und ewig zu binden; im NaturalNet, wo die Schatten droh'n ;)!

PGP-Fingerprint: 3C9D 54A4 7575 C026 FB17  FD26 B79A 3C16 A0C4 F296