[Tutor] soappy, soap, xml ..fuss

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 11:42:57 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 1 October 2013 09:08, Ismar Sehic <i.sheeha at gmail.com> wrote:

> hello, it's me again with my stubborn soap and xml request.please take a
> look at this code and the output, just tell if i'm missing something - i
> don't get it.
>
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 514, in create_connection
>>     raise error, msg
>> socket.error: [Errno 110] Connection timed out
>>

> what could cause this socket error?

You're getting a generic socket error.  This implies the website/web
service might be down, or that the address you're using to contact it is in
fact incorrect.  (Or, your computer might not be connected to the internet,
but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem here ;) )

> and what is this Deprecation Warning?

It's some sort of internal deprecation warning in SOAPpy, you can probably
ignore it for now.

> i don't get it anymore, i tried all the possible ways - with simple http
> request i get an internal server error [500].i wrote an email to the people
> at hotelbeds services 7 days ago, still waiting for the reply.how do i make
> this API, i cannot get simple xml request through.

You're still messing with manually constructing XML requests to feed to the
SOAP service.  Don't do that.  The entire point of libraries like SOAPpy
and ZSI is to mostly shield your from all the XML under the hood.  That
said, as mentioned before, it seems to me you have more fundamental issues
here, e.g. contacting/talking to the web service.  You should be able to
paste for example the WSDL URL into your browser and get the WSDL document
displayed in your browser.  If you can't even do that, then it obviously
won't work when you try to contact the same URL via your program.

I'd suggest you go find a working web service, and experiment interfacing
with that first.  You can hopefully find some to work with here:
http://www.webservicex.net/WS/wscatlist.aspx

Once you've got some confidence working with a simple working web service
using SOAPpy, you should return to this problem.  You should be able to
introspect the Python API provided to you from the webservice directly
using the Python interpreter, and then directly call the web service
methods, with zero manual construction of XML required.  See these pages:
http://www.diveintopython.net/soap_web_services/introspection.html
http://users.skynet.be/pascalbotte/rcx-ws-doc/python.htm

Walter