[Tutor] HELP I need help with Python Setup or to reach Marilyn Davis

Chris Down chris at chrisdown.name
Thu Oct 3 11:44:49 CEST 2013

On 2013-10-02 19:01, carolynn fryer wrote:
> I am at the point where I am just spinning my wheels.  I tried to get help
> with logging on but so far I am just getting frustrated.
>
> I have a problem that I brought up the first night in class but couldn't seem
> to get help then.  Sorry if I am at the point where I am totally frustrated
> and I need HELP. PLEASE.  I did not turn in homework because of the fact that
> I can not run anything without getting a syntax error.  I tried setting up a
> path for python environment variables and a few other things but I am getting
> no where.
>
> Can you give me some suggestions why I can't run anything.  I have windows 7
> on my home computer, and windows 8 on my laptop and they are both doing the
> same thing.  So it has to be something I am doing or not doing.  I really do
> not like being behind/late in anything so that is making me even more
> frustrated.  I suppose I am even more frustrated and afraid to ask because I
> kink of got a slap in the face last time I took a course here and the
> instructor would not help.  But that was a way different situation, I simply
> could not understand his English and then he told me he did not have any
> patience.  Excuse me but I just about died when he, an INSTRUCTOR told me
> that.  I worked at Stanford for 25 years and to hear an instructor say those
> words was unthinkable.  Anyway you can maybe understand my reluctance to ask
> for help but I need help.  Any suggestions??  When I use one of the computers
> at school everything works just fine.  Except I can not get my own computer
> to log on when I am there.  So again that is why I said it is my system and
> something in my set up that I don't have.
>
> Sorry for the long note, I was just letting out a little frustration.  LOL
> Thx for any suggestions, Carolynn Fryer
>
> ps: I know this is not the proper way to get ahold of you but I could not
> find nor have time to find any other way.  The UCSC system is not very user
> friendly

I genuinely have no idea what we are supposed to do with this unfocused
diatribe. It would be good if you could avoid copying tutor@ to your inane
UCSC-centric rants in future.

You have, however, given absolutely no information that could help anyone in
diagnosing your problem. I don't have the patience to wade through this
contextless rant. In future:

- Nobody on this list cares about what you have to say about UCSC;
- Please get to the point;
- Please include actual examples of error messages you face instead of just
  describing them.

Thanks.