[Tutor] Reading CSV files in Pandas

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Mon Oct 21 20:02:44 CEST 2013

> * Where is this data coming from?
> * Who or what is generating this file?

Just to be more specific about this: I have a very strong suspicion that
whatever is generating the input that you're trying to read is doing
something ad-hoc with regards to CSV file format.  Knowing what generated
the file, whether it be Excel, or some custom script, is very helpful in
diagnosing where the problem's originating from.

Your suspicion about the quotes around entire rows:

> Does it have to do with the "" marks present before each line in the data?

sounds reasonable.  I expect quotes around individual fields, but not
around entire rows.  Such a feature sounds anomalous because it doesn't fit
the description of known CSV formats:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values