[Tutor] [OT] Programming practice was: Re: string list in alphabetical!

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 22 01:42:13 CEST 2013

On 22/10/13 00:07, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

>> I'd like to upgrade that process :D ...
>>
>> 1) think about your problem
>> 2) if there are some heplful libraries that can make it way easier, use them
>> 3) write some code
>> 4) fix the bugs until it'll run
>> 5) write unittests
>> 6) test if it works correctly and if unittests pass
>> 7) repeat until done
>

> Heh, very true! But the most important step is step 1,

I agree. I've recently started coaching the son of a friend in computing
for his new school (he is effectively a year behind
his new classmates). They use VB6 but at a level I can cope with! :-)

The interesting thing however is that the schools have not taught
any kind of approach to problem solving, they just give a homework
assignment and expect them to produce code. My friend wants to
dive into Vuisual Studio to start work immediately. I've been
trying to get him to adopt a workflow where he writes on paper
an informal "use case" description of the solution and if
necessary a pseudo code design. But it's been a real challenge
to get him to slow down and understand exactly what he is being
asked to do before diving into code. (Some of that is just
natural youthful impatience, but mostly it's lack of instruction
in an alternative! :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site