[Tutor] Question about conditions and empty values

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 27 01:45:01 CEST 2013

On 26/10/13 20:13, Shelby Martin wrote:

> My question is this - the author of this exercise states the condition
> is False if either zero or "empty" is the value. I'm assuming he means
> that empty is just pressing Enter without entering a number?

Normally that would be correct but...

> money = int(input("How many dollars do you slip the Maitre D'?"))

Here we try to convert the string to an int. and int() fails
when given an empty string so your program never reaches the
if test.

Which begs the question: GHOw are you running your programs?
If you used a console or an IDE it should have shown you the error
message which would have explained what and where things went wrong.

You would need to either use a try/except clause around the conversion
or check for an empty string before converting. try/except is the
preferred route but you may not have covered that yet.

> if money:
>      print("Ah, I am reminded of a table. Right this way.")
> else:
>      print("Please, sit. It may be a while.")

If you did get the error message then please, in future, include
any such in their entirety in posts because they greatly simplify
diagnosing more complex issues.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site