[Tutor] myown.getfilesystemencoding()

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Sep 5 01:29:16 CEST 2013

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 05:39:10AM -0700, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:

> Wow, thanks for looking all this up. Thanks also to other people who
> replied. It's not really desirable that a IDE adds confusion to an
> area that's already confusing to begin with.

Well, naturally it isn't desirable to add confusion, but I think that
when dealing with IDEs it is unavoidable. The whole point of an IDE is
that it is an *integrated* environment, which implies that the
environment that Python runs in is not the same as unintegrated Python
would be running in.

> But given that chcp
> returns cp850 on my windows system (commandline), wouldn't it be more
> descriptive if sys.getfilesystemencoding() returned 'cp850'?

I cannot comment on the gory details of Windows file system encodings,
except to say the sooner Windows moves to UTF-8 everywhere like the rest
of the civilized world, the better.

--
Steven