[Tutor] fit data to equation

I. Alejandro Fleischer iafleischer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 14:19:49 CEST 2013

Dear Alan and Oscar

Thank you.

 I'll try to be more accurate:

What Oscar wrote is exactly the situation:

> "I'm going to assume that you have some data that gives paired
> measurements of two quantities e.g. (x1, y1), (x2, y2), ... (xn, yn).
> You want to find parameters a, b, and k so that y = a+b*exp(k*x) is a
> good fit to your data. The problem is that there is no unique
> definition of a "good" fit."
>

> I will install scipy.

> So your first step is probably to install scipy if you haven't already
> and have a look at its optimize module. I can be more specific if you
> explain a little more about what you're trying to do and what your
> data looks like.

It's a variation , of a physical value ("y")  in time ("x")   (while
cooling) , you have the data measured (xi, yi), but not from x=0. I need to
extrapolate "y" to "x=0", by that equation.

I know the very basics about statistics, and a beginner in python, I ve
chosen python to work with.

Regards,

Igor