[Tutor] ImportError: No module named '_sysconfigdata_m'

Albert-Jan Roskam fomcl at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 19:42:12 CEST 2013

----- Original Message -----

Just in case anybody ever looks in the archives:

antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ uname -a
Linux antonia-HP-2133 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:32:08 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

> I recently
>>  downloaded and installed Python 3.3. I downloaded the tarball
>>  and compiled, tested and installed everything as per instructions in the
>>  (readme? install?) file.
>
> Building from the official source defaults to /usr/local as the prefix
> directory, which doesn't interfere with the platform Python in /usr.
> Did you configure with --prefix=/usr? Also, it defaults to using
> _sysconfigdata for build_time_vars  -- not _sysconfigdata_m in the
> platform subdirectory.  That's a Debian patch, which you can see in
> the following diff:

I did not use "--prefix". I just reinstalled Python 3.2 via the package manager, and it everything is working again --THANK YOU ALL!

antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ which python3.3
/usr/local/bin/python3.3
antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ which python3.2
/usr/bin/python3.2

Are the Python-3 versions considered to be too different that apt-get update does not replace e.g. 3.2 with 3.3? Or is that also related to the Debian-specific patches, which may cause the Debian-specific release to be (much) behind with the "generic" Python release?