[Tutor] trying to understand pattern matching code

rahmad akbar matbioinfo at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 10:36:08 CEST 2014

Danny and Dave,
super thanks on the plain text advice. i'm sending this mail on plain
text, please let me know if it turned out to be otherwise

back to the problem
just googled binary and i now have some idea on it. i now understand
turning on 16 and 8 gives 24 and thus 4+8 = 12. why is this? i now
understand this bit.

but  i still couldnt get this line though

D = (( D << 1) + 1) & masks [ c ]

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:37 AM, Dave Angel <davea at davea.name> wrote:
> rahmad akbar <matbioinfo at gmail.com> Wrote in message:
>>

>  to Dave,
>>   i do i do the text mode? i had no idea this was on html
>
> Whatever mail program you're using is apparently defaulting to
>  html.  Find a menu item that specifies 'text' or 'plain text' or
>  'text only'.
>
> Or tell us what email program you're using,  what os, and versions
>  for each. Maybe someone will have experience with
>  it.
>
> Back to your problem,  do you understand what binary is, and how
>  to convert (mentally) to and from decimal? Do you know that the
>  bits have values of 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, etc? And that 24 is created
>  by turning on the 16 bit and the 8 bit, commonly referred to as
>  bits 4 and 3, respectively.
>

> --
> DaveA

many thanks