[Tutor] Using subprocess on a series of files with spaces

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 1 10:38:09 CEST 2014

Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> writes:

> C Smith wrote:
>
> > Nice, these are useful tools. I have been building something with
> > just basic stuff and avoiding learning any libraries. If I wanted to
> > get some insight on a larger program that is about 1000 lines, would
> > that be doable here?
>
> In general we prefer concrete questions and smaller chunks of code.
> With 1000 lines you get fewer people to even take a look.

Right. When attrmpting to learn, keep the examples simple. This will
make it easier to focus on the essential points, and also minimise whole
categories of error.

To get feedback on some code, make it a Short, Self-Contained,
Compilable Example <URL:http://sscce.org/>. This means we will be able
to read the code quickly, run it ourselves, and better see what its
purpose is.

> You might still try and post a link to the code together with a few
> questions here...

Not really advised. If the code is too long to discuss in context here,
much of the point is lost; we prefer discussions to have the code inline
so the public archives contain the code too. That's an important reason
to keep it short and self-contained.

--
 \       “I bought some batteries, but they weren't included; so I had |
  `\                                to buy them again.” —Steven Wright |