[Tutor] Exercise to work on

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Wed Aug 13 02:27:32 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM, keith papa <keithadu at live.com> wrote:
> Hi, am a newbie to python and I wondering if you guys can give me some
> exercise to work on. I have learned: print function , if function , strings,
> variables, and raw_input. The more the better

Do you find yourself doing certain kinds of computations?  A typical
first beginner example is to compute a fahrenheit to celsius
calculator.   Numbers are usually easy to work with, so problems that
automate basic computations are prevalent in beginner exercises.  I'd
recommend trying exercises in a beginner's textbook; those are usually
fairly easy to do and useful.

For example:

    http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/thinkpython003.html#toc23

---

Besides that, do you have hobbies or interests outside of computer
programming?  Maybe there's something there that you can approach.
When I'm learning a language, I try to do something personal to make
it concrete, useful, and fun.  For example (though not related to
Python programming), when I was learning Golang, I tried:

    https://plus.google.com/117593568781545916065/posts/CALjoYeKU7r

because was in the middle of trying to figure out how marginal taxes
work, having read an article and not quite getting it.  Writing that
program let me learn both something domain-specific as well as get a
feel for a different programming language.