[Tutor] Preparing virtualenvwrapper for Django 1.6 development

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 09:54:13 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Sithembewena Lloyd Dube
<zebra05 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am developing on a Windows 8.1 machine and wold like to setup
> virtualenvironment via virtualenvwrapper so as to have a properly set up
> Python development environment.
>
> I am referring to Jeff Knupp's guide at
> http://www.jeffknupp.com/blog/2013/12/18/starting-a-django-16-project-the-right-way/
>
> After installation of virtualenvwrapper via pip, the guide says:
> "
> After it's installed, add the following lines to your shell's start-up file
> (.zshrc, .bashrc, .profile, etc).
>
> export WORKON_HOME=$HOME/.virtualenvs
> export PROJECT_HOME=$HOME/directory-you-do-development-in
> source /usr/local/bin/virtualenvwrapper.sh
> "
>
> My issue is, I do not understand what these lines are doing (I have a vague
> idea but assumptions can be deadly). Moreover, it is clear that the
> instructions were authored with a UNIX environment in mind.
>
> Would anyone be so kind as to translate this to Windows speak, as well as
> perhaps pointing out what file this would go into in a Windows environment?

virtualenvwrapper does not work in Windows.  You should use regular
virtualenv instead.  Read this:
http://virtualenv.readthedocs.org/en/latest/virtualenv.html#usage

Note that this blog post is HEAVILY *nix-specific, and that Windows is
a bad environment for Python development (especially Web development).
I personally recommend you just get a virtual machine running some
Linux instead of playing with Windows.

--
Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <http://chriswarrick.com/>
PGP: 5EAAEA16