[Tutor] Preparing virtualenvwrapper for Django 1.6 development

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 23 21:37:04 CEST 2014

On 23/08/14 08:54, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:

> Note that this blog post is HEAVILY *nix-specific, and that Windows is
> a bad environment for Python development (especially Web development).

While I wouldn't say its the best environment I don't think its
fair to say Windows is "a bad environment for Python". Any
experienced Windows programmer will find it much easier to use Python on
Windows than to learn a whole new OS and development environment.

And if they use the ActiveState version of Python (or IronPython)
they should feel quite at home.

OTOH If they already know Linux and have a choice then I'd agree
*nix is a better match. But modern Windows (post Win2k say) is not
so bad that you need a new OS. IMHO at least.

[ And for context, I run Linux on my main desktop, MacOS on my
laptop, and Windows 8.1 on a second desktop - used mainly for
photography/video processing. And I use Python on all 3 of them)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site